Monday, May 9, 2011

The BEST Surprises...

I love it when I get surprises. So the other day I was at the GSPCA National Specialty show and I get a photo of a GSP on my cell phone, I don't recognize the number or the dog (they all look alike to me), so I asked "Who this?". The response floored me...it was Tootsie!

Wow, Scott has been busy, this girl cleaned up NICE. I'm so happy and proud! She lived her life in a small crate, and now she's free to live the last part of her life anywhere she wants! Warms my soul, indeed.

Sometimes I wonder why LOOKS mean so much to us? Why do people choose one dog over the other based on looks? Why do people further break down their choice by the dog's credibility? You know what I'm talking about... I mean it's one thing to have a favorite, perhaps even a favorite color, or markings, but what if the dog is fat, what if the dog doesn't have pedigree papers, what if it's flat out ugly? What if the dog isn't precisely perfect according to AKC "Breed Standards"? Now you are taking PERFECTION to a whole new level. And when you move to that level, you are generally stepping on people to get there.

I wonder why that has to be part of the equasion? Ok, choosing a breed is one thing, I "get" that. If you choose to rescue a dog, you are certainly not into choosing perfection, even tho I must say, I've seen alot of PERFECT dogs zip thru rescue over the years. I think the SURPRISE in this is more then just the "save" or the "find" with a rescue dog. It's what the dog can BECOME. It totally goes back to what I say "the more you give, the more you shall receive". The surprise is in it all...you merely have to believe. Thank you Scott! Thank you for seeing a shiney girl under all the blubber, and dullness in her eyes. They are always in there, just waiting to surprise us. I just LOVE a good surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment