Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Mad, Mad, Minds of Those I Deal With...

In saving these regal hunting dogs, I want for them the things they should have had in life to begin with, and maybe some addl perks, like getting to sleep on the couch when he feels like it, or better yet, actually get to sleep in bed with his adopters at night. Ok, I won't be that demanding of folks...a doggie bed would be fine. But INSIDE IS A MUST. We do not allow outdoor housing for our dogs. So when I receive applications to adopt or volunteer for rescue I look closely for how these applicants intend to house our dogs.


If I see kennel listed on an application, or if I see anything resembling an outdoor kennel while doing a home visit, I'd like to know how much time my dog will spend inside that thing? People seem to think because we have hunting dogs they all belong out back in an outside kennel to fend for themselves until they are called upon. Ummm, first of all, I will tell you this from experience, the more you give the more you shall receive. By that, I'm telling you the dog needs to be a part of the family. Once he has his place in the family, he will give you anything you want, just don't isolate him away from his family. These dogs I rescue can be very industrious. You cannot leave them unattended in an outdoor kennel, without a top (even with a top) for any length of time, or they will figure a way out. Google "dog escapes outdoor kennel once", people think it's FUNNY to record their dogs escaping...but is it really?

You all might think perhaps I'm a tad ummm, over worried about a set up like this? Ok, I been doing this since 1999. Can I relate to you how many stories of people who called me saying their dog was stolen, right out of it's outdoor kennel. One was even in it's kennel INSIDE a fenced yard! No gates were open, nothing amiss. Ya know what I think? The dog got bored, climbed the kennel, then jumped the fence, cuz there was a reported sighting a block away that afternoon, before the guy got home. HELLO? Ok, how about all the smarty pants owners, who think the dog needs fresh air, and the little turd escapes his kennel all the time, what shall we do? So the smart folks decide to tie the dog inside their outdoor enclosure, but never calculate the rope length... wanna say stupid?


Have you ever heard of "fence fighting"? It's when dogs get protective of their kennels or crates or space...very similar to the mentality of a chained dog, guarding it's turf. There is a REASON I say no outside housing folks. Trust me. Don't create DRAMA for me, don't take it all personal. I save these dogs for a reason. I don't save them just so you can be stupid and kill em. I'm only warning you in advance, what might happen...because I've seen it all before. I'm not selectively picking on you! I'm not saying you are a bad dog adopter because your idea and mine differ. I AM saying I will not give you a dog if you intend to keep it outside all the time. It's HOT OUT THERE! It's COLD OUT THERE! There are critters that can enter the dogs kennel, and the dog can't defend himself. Fresh air? Times square? Ummm, NO! The second you put in a full bucket of water, they will knock it over and be without all day till you get home. How much of the day will the dog be in direct sunlight, roasting to death? I've seen the destruction a dog can do to cyclone fencing in quick fashion. You might proudly announce...well, it's better then the dog being locked up in a crate inside the house all day while I work!

Is it really? I know my dog is safely locked inside my house, he cannot escape, he cannot be stolen, he is in his den where he is cool, or warm, listening to tunes while I'm at work. Is this a bad thing? NOPE, not if you devote a little exercise time when you get home. It's less concrete ware and tear on their joints as well!


This dog house was a gift from the folks who surrendered a shorthair to us several years ago. The dog was horribly aggressive to humans, his young body was so deformed from crawling in and out of his dog house. The only time I ever got to kiss this dog was after he was euthanized and could not bite me in the face anymore. You all keep thinking it's a good idea to keep your dogs outside, for their own entertainment? Do you want more horror stories? How about the dog people adopted several years ago who went to town, tied the dog to a tree, and say they weren't gone more then 45 mins, when they got home the dog was sitting up against a tree, never moved...she tried to chew thru her rope, instead swallowed it, and choked herself to death. How about the one that fell thru the swimming pool cover, when left unattended, suffocated/drown not so very fast like while no one was paying attention. Shall I go on?


I'm not telling people these things to make you feel like "less of a dog owner", I'm telling you these things to make you THINK. Afterall, these are dogs. We are the humans, we are the smarter of the two. We make the decisions for them. My decision is, and the decision of WGSPR is, that we will not adopt a dog to someone who intends to keep them in an outdoor kennel while they are gone to work all day, that's 8+ hours a day the dog has to himself to do who knows what? Not on my turf. Don't make me have to baby sit you. You can take it all personal like if you must... but in all reality it's for the safety of the dog I have trusted you with. I think you have the idea, don't push me on this subject, you will not win. Don't let me down now.

No comments:

Post a Comment