Thursday, April 7, 2011

Two Sides To Every Story...


Yesterday, the "kids" and I had the extreme pleasure of being invited to Peggy Morsch's east side studio for a photo shoot to kick off her annual Wine & Paws fundraiser event for WGSPR and WI Humane. It's an awesome deal...$30- for 30 min sitting with your pets, bring a 30 lb bag of dog food and a bottle of wine to pass! Now with that out of the way, I have to start by saying...there are two sides to every story... Here is Peggy's: http://peggymorschlifephotography.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/unsung-heroes/

Here's mine: So, you know nothing is ever easy when it comes to kids or animals. Ok, Peggy wanted the kids tired, so we take a walk around the lunch hour everyday, but the night before I gave big, white boy (James) a bubble bath, and it was sprinkling outside, I figured walking them would get him all dirty... but we did fine, he did not get splattered.


Then I had to get ready; clear the shower, slap some make up, get dressed a tad better then sweat pants ya know? Of course, while all this is going on, I gotta photo from an adopter of what his adopted dog of 3 years did to his pretty white leather couch yesterday and he needed to surrender the dog; he was done. Bad doggie!!


So my mind is scrambling, where to go with destructo dog, and I'm watching the clock, and I'm tapping away on my computer and texting to get this situation under control, and still get ready for our photo shoot. Finally, I'm ready, the dogs are up and I'm late, late, late...urgh... and at the same time, we got Brita Cooter dog, in killer mode for other dogs in her foster home, that I hoped would be her forever home, and things were getting better, then BAM, attack dog came out again, and now they want THAT dog outta their house today, tomorrow, the next day...so I'm scrambling to get transport situated for Saturday to move killer north to a new foster with no other dogs. I'm worried silly that this poor new foster maybe won't be able to handle a dog like "killer", then again, she's fostered before, I have to trust her...or I know I have back up in that area... but I'm not hearing anything about transport and my old rust bucket can't be trusted so much to do the entire trip, and this foster mom does't have a car...so while all this is swirling in my brain, I'm loading dogs, cutting across town for our photo shoot. Jim's quietly riding shot-gun, as always, Miracle is clawing the heck outta the back of my van, and I want to kill her, she's jumping up on the windows to see the view, I have no idea where I'm going, get lost, call her, ahhh, finally we get there, I do not trust Peggy's fencing. I'm not letting my dogs off leash...especially Miracle, who would just tap dance off down the street, without looking back... and there's a bird feeder there in the middle of the yard, Miracle goes on point, and that's it...she's a slathering idiot. Bird. So we finally get inside the studio, and try to calm down, cuz the dogs are all buzzed up, but Miracle is our problem...she's just a nervous nilly, pants, paces, sticks to that exit door like glue, tap dancing around. Jim is on edge cuz she is a freak.

Poor Peggy does the best she can with what these two queers are giving us...finally I locked Miracle in the van, and we worked quietly with Jim, and he is a huge ham...but all the sudden we were outta time!


I had the couch killer dog to grab...drop mine off at home first, load supplies and crate for couch killer, traffic is a NIGHTMARE, bumper to bumper...quick, lock mine up, load the van, race off to the surrender meeting location, wait for foster mom, wait for adopter to bring dog...that all goes off without a hitch, race back home, fed poor Jim and Miracle, took my fancy clothes off, put my feet up, popped open that new bottle of wine I got at the photo shoot event...and that was it for me...all except texts with foster mom with couch killer, cuz I have an adopter lined up for him, and they happen to be located in the same area, so they went to see him already least night. I told them they can have a week trial, so they are taking him up north to their cabin this weekend, give it a good go...and I'm waiting for his vet work anyhow, so I can update any of his shots and make adoption folder. And my heart is with another adopter whose adoptive dog bit his 3 yr old child in the face, and is waiting out a 10-day quaranteen to do "the deed". I offered to go handle it, but he wanted to do it himself. I think that's today... and I have a girl in WI who wants to surrender a gorgeous little female for some crappy ass reason, and she's all boohoo, and once again, in my mind it's like "blah, blah, blah"...not really my problem. AND another bird dog rescue friend needs help with a surrender back to rescue, and it's on my turf, so luckily two of our volunteers will help, so I had to twirl that a little too! I know, makes you feel a little breathless? Yup, sometimes I am too! But for me, it feels like auto-pilot. You find a balance I guess; you do what needs to be done.

Unsung Hero? hmmm, when it's you, you don't think about it that way. You just do it. To be written about like that is an honor, brings a little tear to my eye...very sweet. But I don't have time to cry for long, cuz there is another dog out there who needs us. Peggy's right...without skipping a beat, I'm off to the next thing. Alot of days I wish I had my life back...the one before I saved dogs. I know for sure I would NOT be bored...perhaps I'd see more, do more? I do know I'd have a dog tho. But until then, I keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment