Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Responsible?

Ahhh, finally a long week is over, and I could pour a glass of wine, and turn on my fav tv shows Friday night, when the phone rings.  So I grab it...and it's a guy who wants to tell me all about the dog he needs to find a new home for, because the dog is nippy with the baby and now they have twins on the way.  About then, everything else he said in my mind was, yes...you know it...blah, blah, blah...  he got the dog from a bad situation oh 6-7 yrs ago, the vet thinks she was 2-3 yrs old then, but with them having kids now, the 10+ yr old dog cannot be trusted.  I told him put her down.  He said "can I finish"?  Why certainly..he already destroyed my night so what's the difference?  Then he offered to 'sweeten the deal' paying for her food, vet work, boarding... WTH?  Since when do I have a stamp across my forehead that says I can save all dogs?  Who made me the "responsible"?  Just because I volunteer to save purebred german shorthaired pointers in Wisconsin, does not make me responsible for everyone else's problems!  My first priority are to shorthairs in Wisconsin's shelter system.  Adoptable dogs!  I don't need broken dogs!  The dude eventually just hung up on me, but not before dropping me a short, nasty email...so I let him have it back....who made me responsible for his problem?  Damn it.  Perhaps now you see why I don't have a real life anymore?  Ok, I assumed some of the responsiblity all on my own...but I'm drawing the line here.  If I can help an owner surrender I will.  If, after doing this for sheesh, how many years?  I know a dog is not highly adoptable, or even a little adoptable...why should I stick my neck out?  By doing so to save a dog's life, I could be endangering someone elses?  I am not a boarding facility, nor do I have time to fix a broken dog.  I know it's not the dog's fault.  But it's not mine either.  It's pretty exhausting, and never ending, and all consuming.  And if people don't want to hear what I have to say?  Don't bug me man.  Take responsibility for what you created!  Take care of your own dog.  Don't lay your problem on me and proceed to make me feel guilty about it too?  Ok, that's all, I'm done.  But I think you know what I mean?  
   

1 comment:

  1. We can only fix the problems of the world one at a time. You've chosen your path. Stick to it and do what you do best. Otherwise it will consume you. And then you're no good for any creature. Stand your ground Lisa!

    ReplyDelete