Monday, February 28, 2011

Who keeps count?

I do.  With only so many places to stash dogs, and THIS many dogs needing us....someone better keep count....keep track...make sure we have enough money, enough supplies, enough food, treats, crates, etc...  I do.  I keep track of the dogs, I keep track of my part time job, I keep track of my house, my own dogs, myself, and sometimes I seriously wonder whose keeping track of me?

Dotty
 So, this fella called me about his female, Dotty.  Seems she is one of those females with attitude...she is a trained hunter, however can't be trusted with the kids anymore and is not welcome back home.  So he sent her back to her breeder for more training (boarding), and she kicked one of his dogs ass, and now the breeder wants her out asap.  So here we are.  He doesn't trust her, the breeder doesn't trust her, yet I should drop everything to save his dog?  uhhhuh?  I dunno Dotty girl....





Lazlo
 Then there is the very handsome Lazo's story... 
I am the owner of a 2 year old GSP, Lazlo. We are seeking your help to surrender him. We have had Lazlo for 7 months since adopting him from a Wisconsin Rescue (which is no longer in business). He is healthy, has all shots, and is neutered. He is great with our family, gets along well with our other dog (which we had prior). Problem is we just don't enough time and space that he needs to run and play. We are not hunters. Also we are going to be moving out of state. We go to dog parks as much as possible. Sometimes he'll bark at other dogs or play rough, though not aggressive in a hurtful way. He'll bark at strangers coming over to the house, can be a little intimidating (big puppy). When he gets excited he likes to grab his blanket or a shoe (soft mouth), not a big deal. He's trainable- knows "wait", "sit", "stay" for example. He is pretty good on a leash. Not trained to hunt. Overall, Lazlo will be a good dog for the right family, especially for someone that has more experience and accommodations for the breed.   



10-11 yr old Max
Can you hear me going blah, blah, blah?  Until now.... meet 10-11 yr old Max...and get out the kleenex for this story:  
Hello - Firstly, thank you for the work that you do and your love for these dogs.  I love Yankee Candles and would be willing to buy some from you.  But the real reason I am writing to you is about my Pointer, Max.  I love my Max.  He is such a sweet old dog.  I adopted Max from our local Humane Society about 5 1/2 years ago.  He was a stray and they guestimated him to be about 5 or 6 years old at the time.  Now, my husband and I are separating and I can't take Max to the apartment where I will be living.  My husband won't keep him or care for him, so I need to find him another home.  Max is a neutered male, front dewclaws removed and tail docked before I adopted him.  He is micro-chipped to me, has had annual vet visits and is current on all his shots.  I can tell he was trained to hunt because he points at rabbits when we are out walking.  He is good with children - my daughter was 3 when Max came to live with us.  He gets along well with other dogs and is very friendly.  He needs other dogs to play with and to get out and run.  He doesn't get along with cats. 
Who dumps an old dog?  Looking at Max's face, pondering his fate, brings me to tears.  Do you have any idea of how hard it will be for Max to acclimate to a new life?  But DAMN IT, I'm sure gonna try to help him.  

Little Missy in IA

Shall we continue?  Young,  female, found as stray in Iowa, is crate trained, good with other dogs, good with cats and good with kids, but she does jump up when excited so she would need a bit of training in that area especially if she is going to be around young children.  Now the lady who found her says if she can keep her she will, and she wonders if she might be preggers?  OMG?  I will do anything to get her outta Iowa... hopefully she is not having puppies. 
All in all, this would make 10 dogs we have helped thus far in 2011...but whose keeping track?

No comments:

Post a Comment