Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Same Ole Same...

Is this dump your dog week?  The reality of it is, this is my daily life.  When I decided to take on a dog rescue, I did know 'the big picture'...I had been volunteering for another breed rescue here for oh, 5 years in advance. But I never really had to deal with it all.  All I know is you are wasting everyone's time if you are nice and give everyone false hope.  People need to understand we do the best we can.  The public is our audience.  The public are who come to us for a companion dog.  If we adopt out aggressive dogs, it is a reflection on what sort of an organization we are.  I have to draw the line somewhere...
 


From: Rachel
To: lisa
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 10:58:58 AM
Subject: GSP in need of a loving home
Hi Lisa,

I got your email address off the GSP Rescue website.  I am sending this email on behalf of my friend, Jim, who is not so computer savvy.  He has a GSP named Dotty that is going to be 3 this year.  He has had her for about 1.5 years, and has had many issues with her.  She is a great dog around Jim and his family, but reacts very differently to other people.  She can be anything from shy to aggressive, to loving then back to aggressive within a very short time.  Jim got her for free from another person that gave her up and she has had these behavioral issues since he got her.  She is a great hunter (I have hunted with her numerous times) and Jim has spent a lot of time and money trying to fix Dotty’s issues, but all have failed.  After an incident the other day, he was faced with the choice of having her put down, or contacting the GSP Rescue. 
There is a lot more that you should know about Dotty, and Jim would like to speak with you.  I did not see a phone number on the website to contact you, so do you have a phone number that he could reach you at?

Thank you in advance,
Rachel XXXXX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To which I replied:

Just from reading the basics here, I think she is probably not adoptable.  I would not want to take on an unstable dog, because if he doesn't trust the dog, how can I trust it?  I would not put a dog like that out to the public.  We are only a non profit dog rescue, we cannot afford liability insurance, and we cannot afford to take on problematic dogs.
 
I think Jim needs to do the responsible thing here.  Don't make me have to take on a responsibility that is not mine.
 
Please understand!  I deal with the public...I have to do what's best for this rescue and our volunteers and adopters. 
 
Lisa C. Rossman
Founder of:
http://www.wgspr.com
Wisconsin German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue, Inc.
& Miracle's Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment