Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tommy's lucky day...

This is Tommy's lucky day, because we gotta foster home, because we gotta ride...because we can.  Five, six years ago when this rescue fell in my lap, on a daily basis, I didn't have a clue who would help me save a dog.  So I saved them, sometimes having up to six dogs in my house.  I made some mistakes, I learned alot, I met some pretty interesting people along my path.  And I saved alot of dogs along the way.  So today, as we pull Tommy out of that cold, damp shelter he has no business spending Christmas in, I am thankful for all of the opportunities that have come my way in life.  I'm not saying it's all easy, what I'm saying here is every single person, every single dog, every single contact, every single move I make, creates a new opportunity in one form or another, and it's what you do with those opportunities that form any outcome.  I heard from my old saw guy (a former job) this AM.  He was calling to go thru the normal happy holidays greeting, but Don and I share more then just that.  Many years ago, I helped him sell a saw...mind you I'm no salesman, I'm a secretary...but ya know what? Don gave ME a commission for that saw sale.  We worked side-by-side at machine tool shows, I helped him obtain information, he always made me feel good and laugh.  We shared a common interest in hunting dogs, and would often trade info there.  And we like brandy manhattans.  And as we tip our glasses together in a toast, he says "Good nite Irene".  With such meaning, only he and I share, as at least once a week, we treat ourselves to the drink.  Sometimes (I told him) I just raise my glass and say "this one's for you, Ray".  Don thought that was funny.  (Ray was his father, and Irene is his mother)  Anyhow, Tommy gets out today, which makes save #4 in December alone.  This makes me feel likes it's gonna be a good Christmas afterall!     

No comments:

Post a Comment