Friday, November 12, 2010

Breakdown

So I get outta work earlish, head straight to bail Louie out of shelter.  I take care of all the paperwork at front desk, pay in advance for a microchip too.  Then I wait.  Finally the girl comes back out and asks me to help with the dog, cuz they are having a hard time with him.  hmmmm.  I only met him once before, briefly, but what is the big deal?  Then they walk me back to their holding kennels, and the first thing I hear is non-stop, loud barking, and in kennel #2 is Louie, with "deer caught in headlights" look on his face, wild eyes, and he's guarding off the back area of his kennel, going from side to side, lunging if we try to enter.  Well, wth?  How will I get the slip noose leash on him to get him outta there, because I feel like he's just in shock?  So I crawled in, got down in a submissive pose, but there was no way, his eyes were wild, you couldn't talk to him over the barking, it was a waste of time.  So I crawled out, asked the lady to go get a catch pole, we had to quickly remove him, get him somewhere quiet to calm down.  So she did.  He went super crazy then, it was a bad scene.  But that didn't work. She would not allow me to just leave the cage door open, let him come out on his own...so we got another helper in there with the longer catch pole and she finally got him, and we moved him to another room, where it took a good 10-15 mins for him to calm down, so we could approach him to get the catch pole off, and my slip noose lead on. Now, we gotta microchip him, and I told the guy you muzzle him, so no one gets hurt.  He wondered if the dog isn't a "cage fighter" (where the dog guards his kennel or crate, sometimes viscously), so they made me leave and brought him out to me microchipped, and I loaded him up, we headed home.  Once I got him home, he was fine with my dogs, did not attempt to jump my fence, did crap in my living room once, ate supper fine, loves treats, is a furniture dog, is a counter surfer, slept on the couch thru the night, at some point crapped again in the house.  URGH.  I hate dogs sometimes.  But the poor thing!  I found out he was apprehended by a neighbor of my foster, very close to her house immediately, and given a ride to the holding tank, where he spent almost 24 hours till got there. He had that same blue collar on him with NO RESCUE ID.  URGH!  Louie got really lucky that I had a little bit of faith in him, and chanced it, because I seriously considered euthanizing him, with the behavior I saw. But outside of that environment he is fine.  Most shorthairs do not fair well in a shelter system, and while this is not exactly classic, it's fairly normal.  Shorthairs belong with their families.  And Louie is meeting a potential family tomorrow.  I hope it goes well for him.         

No comments:

Post a Comment