Monday, November 8, 2010

Fostering for Rescue

First, let me say this:  If you offer to foster a dog for rescue, DO NOT BAIL on that commitment.  I might not have another place to go with that dog!!  Now what?  It would be irresponsible for us to just put that dog back into the shelter system (after we just pulled that dog out!), for whatever measly reason you may have put together.  Don't tell me you have to go out of town, when two weeks ago you never said a word? An emergency will be understood, of course!  Don't tell me you all the sudden don't have time, you most certainly would have known something was coming up when you made that commitment?  Don't bail on us merely because you tired of the novelty of fostering!  Where do you think I'm supposed to go with that dog now?  If you have promised to foster a dog, we have NOT lied to you.  We told you everything we know about this particular dog. We try very hard to match up the incoming dogs temperament with your own pack as to make things flow smoother.  So don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, and tell me now all the sudden, over night, things are different, and you can no longer house our rescue dog?  It doesn't work like that folks!  Do you know how many dogs I have fostered in my house, with my dogs, and perhaps my dogs don't get along?  Perhaps I don't get along with that other "new" dog?  I understand!  I know what this is all about!  You make it WORK.  If only it were as easy as having 50 stand by fosters, just chomping at the bit for a foster home to drop out...it's not like that folks!  Most people won't foster because they have this belief they will fall in love with the dog and can't let it go?  I'm here to tell you, it's not like that!  There are some you do like instantly, and others you can't wait to get out of your house!  Dogs have personalities just like people.  They get along with some dogs, but not others. Same with people.  The BEST we can do is keep networking for more foster help.  Try to get people past that myth.  I won't lie to you; sometimes it's not easy!  It can be exhausting to have a spare dog in your house.  It can be exhausting for you, and your family and your own pack!  So when you say you will foster for rescue, MEAN IT.  Don't bail on us, cuz I probably don't have anywhere else to go with that dog.  It's NOT the dog's fault!  Sometimes I just don't understand agreeing to do something, and not agreeing the very next day!  It is what it is...either you "man up" or don't volunteer.  Our volunteers are our life line to save these dogs. Without you, we couldn't do this.  We appreciate each and every one of you.  The dogs depend on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment