Sunday, November 14, 2010

Runners, cont'd...

Yes indeedy folks, our jobs as volunteers, with a dog in our charge, means KEEP THEM SAFE.  And after bailing Louie from shelter, and all the trauma that inflicted on him, I kept him safe, cuz I had a repeat adopter wanting him rather he hunts or not!  Whoohoo!  So me and Louie took a ride to his new home Sat AM, complete with secure blaze orange buckle collar and id, pinch chain, check cord, and all his supplies he collected along his way to this very moment!  He SMILED prancing in his new house with his new family!  It was truely like he was back home again!  I was so happy!  But why oh why do adopters insist on putting their old dog's collar on the new dog?  Retire the old collar folks!  When Steve put Clark's old leather (with ID!) collar on Louie it was way too big, I even inspected it, and tightened it up to the last hole, and it was still too big. But Steve wanted to donate back supplies he really didn't need, so he put our collar with id and other items back in my hand and off I went.  I didn't hear from him until 630 this AM, my answering machine was going off with a breathless Steve telling me Louie slipped that collar and was gone, NAKED again (well cept for that unregistered microchip he secretly carries now).   He hadn't given him the slip for long, I told Steve perhaps we should give his local police heads up, and we discussed which shelter he would land in.  Then I didn't hear anything for 15 mins, so I called, and he said while he was kneeling down to talk to me, Louie came right to him!  So they were home having some bacon then.  And all the sudden I heard barking, he said he's guarding his food?  WHAT?  I said better go handle that then, and get a size 14" collar ASAP!  And I let him go.  I can't hold their hands forever...  Steve knows what to do.  And I'm here if he needs me.  Recall training 101 folks!  Never, EVER trust a new rescue dog to not give you the slip at least once, or perhaps more times.  My fear is if this one displays that kennel guarding thing if he gets apprehended again, and if they don't understand, and if WE don't get to him quickly, he could very well be euthanized just like I had thought about the other night when I picked him up.  Not everyone is as understanding.  This is no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment