Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What is this world coming to?

This is what I woke up to this morning... sometimes I wonder why I bother?



Death Of Dog Sparks Call For Change - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee

8:53PM, November 23, 2010 WITI-TV, MILWAUKEE —
A pit bull believed to be used in dog fighting was dumped in a Milwaukee park to die. Animal advocates want to find out who did this. It appears that someone tried to find this dog a loving home, but things went horribly wrong.

We want to immediately warn viewers some of the video you're about to see is graphic. A dog was eventually fished out of the lagoon behind me. It's believed she may have been in the 40 degree water at least an hour.

The noises of nature in Washington Park was eventually drowned out by an animal drowning on Friday. Willie Karidis of Milwaukee's Urban Ecology Center left the building and headed to the nearby lagoon. As the animal struggled for its life, Karidis noticed that struggle may have already spanned years.  Karidis tried to save the female pit bull, but her abuse was too great. The dog named Lucy had to be put down, a casualty of dog fighting.

Program Director of the Battle Against Dogfighting Jill Brown believes Lucy was used as a bait dog, essentially a chew toy for fighting dogs, then disposed of.

Lucy was micro chipped so animal control knows she was adopted from a shelter in Illinois by a woman who tried to find the dog a caring home online.

Brown believes an owner interested in dog fighting eventually took advantage of the ad. The advice is to anyone looking to give away a pet, do it through more protected channels like the Humane Society.

If you have any information call the anonymous tip line at 1-800-TIP-HSUS. A tip could be worth up to $5,000 for an arrest or conviction.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to know is, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD? This dog came from a shelter, who microchipped the dog. I find "follow-up" in shelters to be pretty much non-existant. And really? How can it be? The sheer numbers alone... how can one really do any follow up at all? I go to bed at night wondering how many dogs (cats, critters) are being abused tonight, while my dogs are safe, warm, tucked in bed next to me. I worry what if one of my dogs escapes and lands in the wrong hands? I obsess about making sure they are attended to even in my own fenced yard! In this dog rescue business, I hear EVERYTHING. People love to share this shit. I don't really take time to wonder what the motive is, cuz anything beyond education, is just a waste. I believe it's all we see and do in rescue that set us up for Compassion Fatigue of Animal Care Work. And in my opinion, that is killer. Oh you can try to bury your head in the sand, pretend it doesn't happen, but fact is, it's probably happening in your very neighborhood, in one form or another. We could go thru the "what- ifs" all day long, but the bottom line is, if we know of this and do nothing, aren't we as much to blame? Indeed.... ponder on that for a while folks.

I think it's time we put our mouths where they belong... and start with JUSTICE FOR LUCY. Make the abuse stop, find the dog fighters and shut them down. Put an end to the madness. And do it now. Now I have to go puke. Because as often as I hear or see this, you never get hard to it. KNOW WHERE YOUR DOGS END UP PEOPLE. And that's all I have to say about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment